St John Vianney Catholic Primary School is proud to be one of 34 schools across the country to become an English Hub and help improve reading standards. Our aim is to promote high quality phonics teaching, a love of reading and to support schools to teach children to read. Our English Hub Lead and Specialist Literacy Teachers will be driving this exciting new venture.
These half day workshops will provide all participants with the opportunity to share best practice in the teaching of systematic synthetic phonics whilst promoting a love of reading.
The event will include:
- Introductory talk by the Headteacher explaining the key leadership decisions that have enabled reading success
- A learning walk to see and discuss best practice in the teaching of systematic synthetic phonics and early reading
- Research-based evidence woven throughout the sessions
- Practical activities and ideas to take away to support action planning
- How to choose and use resources effectively in the teaching of systematic synthetic phonics
- Follow-up email/ telephone conversations/ materials for further support after the showcase (potential access to funding for resources & training)
Supply cover will be funded for all delegates. In addition there will be an opportunity to apply for funding to purchase resources for supporting the teaching of phonics and early reading. (£3,000, matched funding or £6,000, unmatched in some cases).
Despite the challenges of COVID, last year we were able to still host Showcases and Events. Over 100 participants attended after making a referral into our English Hub. Participants were able to hear our passionate team share best practice in the teaching of phonics, early language development as well as sharing their love of reading.
As a result, we were able to carry out numerous funded audits in order to look at provision in their own school and to decide upon their next steps. 30 schools have also been selected for further support in 2020/2021
Although, in the short term, some of our work has moved online, we are continuing our work to support schools by:
- Carrying out further showcases.
- Continue auditing schools in order to determine how to improve their provision.
- Fund training and workshops.
Please note that at the current time, these events will be held virtually via Microsoft Teams. We look forward to welcoming visitors on site again when the guidance around COVID-19 indicates that it is safe to do so.